Not only is swimming a fun activity to do, it has plenty of health benefits and no matter your fitness or activity level, is a fantastic hobby to get into! Here is our list of the top 10 benefits of swimming!
- It keeps your heart healthy by keeping your heart rate up, improving your cardiovascular fitness
- It builds up your endurance and muscle strength, making it a great sport to ease yourself into regular exercise and manage your weight.
Did you know the NHS recommend that you do 70 minutes of vigorous activity or 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise each week?
- It gives you a full body workout, engaging every muscle group as you need to use your arms, legs, torso and stomach to swim!
- It is a great skill to have, it is not only beneficial for your physical and mental health, being able to swim may save your own or another person’s life one day!
- It is good for those with injuries – illnesses such as arthritis and those who have sustained long term injuries to joints, tendons and bones can make some exercises difficult. When swimming, water gently supports the muscles which is why it is suitable for those who are unable to participate in high-impact, high-resistance sports and exercise.
- Lowers the risk of disease – according to swimming.org, due to its ability to improve cardiovascular health, swimming just 30 minutes a week can help prevent heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes.
- Torches calories quickly! If you’re looking to lose weight, a gentle swim for half an hour can burn over 200 calories – you would need to walk for over an hour to burn that many!
- De-stress – All forms of exercise can be an excellent way of releasing endorphins and reducing stress. Not only that, it can also lower stress levels, reduce mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression and improve your sleep!
- Energy Boost – Swimming and other physical activities can improve your energy levels; inactivity is more often than not responsible for people’s lack of energy!
- A good workout without the sweat – If you rather not be a sweaty betty after exercising, swimming might be the exercise for you! You’ll never get sweaty no matter how hard you work because your constantly surrounded by water that is cooling your body temperature!